Friday 22 January 2016

Embrace and integrate - or fear and challenge?



  • 8th January 
  • Victoria Road
  • just before 8 am
  • walking to the station


Towards me, a woman walks alone from Bank Top. She carries her bag.

Ahead of me walks a man in his late 20's.

Suddenly, without warning the man collides with the woman - as if barging into her. She stops, distressed and looks shaken. She hurries away, passes me, but we do not speak.

Moments later, I pass the man. Within two steps he grabs at my work bag. I do not release it. But I turn with speed. I grab his hand and hold it. He struggles. He shouts in Arabic. A witness rushes to assist me. The perpetrator pulls free.

Within minutes, the matter is taken up by British Transport Police.

Later I speak of the incident, and share my feelings.

My close friends and fellow residents on the terrace show concern for me. Others - not my friends - are more concerned about the perpetrator - a migrant visitor to Darlington. "Was he is hungry?" More sinisterly, they seek to suppress mention of his ethnicity. But, with Cologne, Stockholm and Cairo - we may piece together wider issues arising from migration, especially the single young males whose attitudes to women, values and responsibilities may be in conflict with those of their host communities.

Migration has been a fact of life since men and women left their caves. Britain is a migrant country in both senses of the word - our gene pool tells one story, and our colonial times tell another. But now, the rape and pillage of our ancestors has as much relevance to current problems as had our transportation of criminals to Australia.

We live in times of social collaboration - in which we trust in order, responsibility and freedom. That is the basis of our society.

Today at the World Economic Forum, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls stated, "the migrant crisis is putting the European Union in grave danger" and without adequate border control, "our societies will be totally destabilised". He added that any other message will, a few seconds later, be shared on the smart phones in the refugee camps in Libya.

As a supporter of the Darlington Walk for Peace, and as a Quaker, I seek not to make a comment with any racial motive, but simply to promote open discussion about that which those bringing migrants to - or accommodating migrants within our community, avoid. Humanitarian support for those in need of refuge is vital. But so is the necessity to ensure shared values, and respect for the host. We need to think through the social implications of migration.

A daylight attack by a migrant on two Darlington residents whilst they make their way to work within 300 metres of the terrace, is not conducive to integration or trust.

For those that care to ask, I am alright. I know not whether his female victim bears a scar. But I sense that our community may, and if French Prime Minister Valls is correct, will bear a consequence unless we too, openly and without fear, think things through and speak about them without fear.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen, whilst I fully understand that you don't have any racial motive behind this blog post it reads across a very inflammatory statement. Towards the end of the post you talk about a "A daylight attack by a migrant on two Darlington residents whilst they make their way to work". Firstly just because the man spoke in Arabic doesn't necessarily make him a migrant, but perhaps a born and bred educated and bilingual member of the Darlington society? From what you say you weren't strictly attacked either and no crime took place. There could have indeed been sinister intent but by the same token there could also be another explanation-was he partially sighted, did he clash into you and the other lady by mistake, was he drunk or mentally ill?!
    To be honest I'm more intimidated by the white males in their late 20s I tend to encounter on the way to the station pouring out of Hogan's. I'm all for an open debate around issues of migration but I don't think these events of the other day warrant a blog post like this interspersed with pictures of migrant camps, overcrowded train platforms and mass rioting! Britain has a huge role to play in these war ravaged countries that have forced of the dispersal of millions of innocent women, children and 28 year old males. We have a duty as a country to do what we can in times of desperation for so many. We also have large Polish and Asian communities in Darlington, the majority of which strive hard to integrate. Ultimately people are individuals- there are good and bad across all cultures and religions. Highlighting an incident as part of a community information post is completely right but linking it to the wider hugely contentious and emotive debate around migration undermines the point and has the potential to make this seem about race despite you taking pains to say that this was not your intention. I like to think that we are inclusive and non judgemental people within this community and I fear that this post could be interpreted as undermining this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N - thanks for your thoughts, they are valuable for the debate. Dealing with the points. First, this was definitely not a Darlington resident who happened to burst into Arabic, although both you and I might want it differently. Second, I was attacked, as was the woman before me, attempted theft(s) occurred and the one on me was witnessed by an independent witness who came to my assistance and in fact worked with BTP to apprehend the perpetrator. Third, the perpetrator was not partially sighted - I had already passed him when he grasped and sought to pull away my bag. Fourth, I too feel intimidated by some of the white youths in Darlington, but that is not the point of the post - its not simply about the incidence of crime and anti-social behaviour. Fifth, I happen to disagree that the incident should not be the subject of comment simply because an underlying issue is sensitive. If we do not recognise each other's concerns, and discuss them openly, we do not have the functioning, free society we value here. Sixth, it is very much about South Terrace as it occurred 300 metres from here - in our locality, hence posted on this blog. Lastly, I am sorry that you think the photos to be inflammatory. They were to illustrate the point made by Merkel, Valls and come from mainstream press (my sources were the Independent). Linking the incident to the wider issues is indeed controversial - you are right, there may be no actual link. Perhaps this was an isolated incident of attempted crime at 8 am in Victoria Road? So, I may be right - or I may be wrong to reflect this experience in the way I do. But here, I am not alone, for the investigators have made this connection too. Finally, mine is not an emotive debate, nor does it seek to divide: it is an uncomfortable debate - for me, and clearly for you; and for many who seek to support migrants and integrate all into a fairer society. I feel that we avoid uncomfortable issues at our peril. That others may use the debate for their own less conscionable reasons should not preclude the debate. The ignorance of others that may take the time to read this thread should not stifle the opportunity for comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it too early - or too late to remind readers of my posting from January 2016? http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/15298917.Darlington_rape_update__Accused_man__21__appears_in_court/

    ReplyDelete